New announcement. Learn more


News and advice to help make your property business a success

Landlords TaxProperty TaxLandlords Tax ReturnsProperty AccountsProperty Tax ReturnLandlords AccountsChartered AccountantsOnline AccountantOnline BookkeepingOnline Tax ReturnsTax ReturnsYour Online AccountantYour Online BookkeeperBusinessadviceAccountingTaxCashflowSmallbusinessBusinesstipsProperty AccountantTaxplanningVATFurnished Holiday LettingsInheritance TaxPropertyProperty bookkeeperAnnual Exempt AmountBusiness RateCapital AllowancesCapital gains tax propertyComplianceDeductibleexpensesEmployment AllowanceFinanceFinancialmanagementHoliday Lets TaxLandlords AccountantLandlords FinancialMaking Tax DigitalMileage AllowanceMobilephonesOverlapreliefPensionPprProperty Company TaxProperty Tax Deductible ExpensesRent a Room ReliefSDLTSmall BusinessTaxreturnTimetoPayVAT invoice60 day capital gains limitAccrualsbasisAcquisitionsAdvisoryfuelratesAIAirBnBAllowable Business ExpensesAlphabet sharesAmapAnnual Tax on Enveloped DwellingsAppealAssessmentAsset disposalAssociated CompanyAssociated Company Tax RulesBad DebtBad Debt Tax ReliefBaddebtsBadgesoftradeBeancounterBenefits in KindBreakeven PointBudgetBusiness adviceBusiness asset defermentBusiness coachBusiness ContinuityBusiness EntertainmentBusiness ExpensesBusiness Rates ReliefBusiness tipsBusinessgrowthBusinesstypesBuy or Lease EquipmentBuytoletCapital Allowances for CarsCapitalallowancesCar Capital AllowancesCarry Back LossesCgtChange of Tax BasisChatGPTCIS SchemeCommon TenantCompanies ExpenditureCompanies HouseCompany Account DeadlinesCompany Account FilingCompany Strike OffCompany Tax Efficient PropertyCompanyassociationCompanyloanstaxfreeCompulsory Strike OffConstruction Industry SchemeContacthmrcContentmarketingCorporation Tax LossesCorporation Tax New RegimeCorporation Tax RatesCorporationTaxCostsCryptocurrencyDeductible Business ExpensesDepreciationDevelopmentDirectorsDirectors LoansDirectorsloansDisallowable Business ExpensesDiscoveryDisincorporationDividend allowanceDividend Allowance ReductionDividend PlanningDividendsDLADomestic Items Tax ReliefDormantcompanyEmployee DiscountEmployee managementEmployeecompensationpaymentsEmployeeOwnershipTrustEndoflifeplanningEnquiryEnterpriseResourcePlanningEntrepreneurmindsetEquityExpensesExpenses Allowed For TaxEyetestsFHLsFlippingFurnished Holiday Lets TaxGift AidGiftsGrowthhacksHelp to pay tax billsHICBCHMO Licensing FeesHMRC complaintsHoldoverreliefHoliday Lettings TaxHow to apply for a Business LoanHow to Extract ProfitHumourIhtexemptionsIllegaldividendsInfluencersInheritance Tax Nil Rate BandInterestrestrictionInvestment Property TaxJoint TenantKeypersoninsuranceLandlord RepairsLandlords Self AssessmentLate vat registrationLBTTLeadgenerationLeadmagnetLeanbusinessmodelLetting Agent DisbursementsLetting Agent RecharresLettings ReliefLimitedcompanyLong Lets TaxLongserviceLTTMainresidencereliefMakingTaxDigitalManaged LetsManagement accountingMileage paymentMinimumwageMixedusesdltMortgage costsMortgage Interest ReliefNew propertyNewcompanycarfuelratesNewnicrulesNIC 2023 to 2024NIC savingsNmwerrorsNon-taxableOptiontotaxvatOverpayment ReliefPaperformPartnershipPartnershipbusinessesParttimePatternofoccupancyPAYEPAYE by Direct DebitPenaltypointsPension Payments Tax ReliefPerformance-reviewsPeriodsofabsencePersonal financePersonalallowancePersonalguaranteesPostcessationreliefProfitProfit-and-lossProperty AllowanceProperty Development CompanyProperty IncorporationProperty Investment CompanyProperty investor accountsProperty investor tax tipsProperty LettingProperty Rental BusinessProperty TradingPropertyallowancePropertycompanyRecharges by Estate AgentsRegularpaymentsReimbursedexpensesRent your driveRentalRentaroomResearch & DevolopmentResidence ReliefResidential property gainsRetail stock controlRetainedprofitsRoom for rent taxSASalarySDLT changesSection 455 TaxSelective Licences LandlordsSelf AssessmentSelf-employednicSelfemployedSeperationServicechargesSettlementslegislationSimplified ExpensesSmallbizSmallbusinessratereliefSoftwareSpring BudgetStaffpartiesStamp dutySuccessJourneyTax Allowance on DrivewaysTax AllowancesTax DeadlinesTax Filing DeadlinesTax Free ChildcareTax free incomeTax on Company VansTax positionTax ReliefTax tips for landlordsTaxbillpaymentsTaxconsequencesTaxincentivesTaxpositionTaxpositionassetsTaxreliefTaxreliefsTaxsesTerminationpaymentsTipsTrade professionalTransfer AssetsTransfer Assets Between SpousesUndisclosedincomeUnpaid RentVAT Bad Debt ReliefVAT DeadlinesVAT DisbursementsVAT PenaltiesVAT registrationVatpenaltiesVatregisteredVatregistrationthresholdWellbeing

Separating couples – Importance of checking your child benefit claim

Separating couples – Importance of checking your child benefit claim

The High-Income Child Benefit Charge (HICBC) is a tax charge that claws back child benefit where the claimant or his or her partner have adjusted net income of at least £50,000. Where both parties have income in excess of this, the charge is levied on the partner with the highest income.

The charge is equal to 1% of the child benefit paid for the tax year for every £100 by which adjusted net income exceeds £50,000. Once adjusted net income reaches £60,000, the charge is equal to the child benefit for the tax year.

To avoid receiving a benefit that has to be paid back, a couple may elect not to receive the benefit. However, it is important to claim it to access the associated National Insurance credits, particularly where the claimant’s income is not sufficient for the year to be a qualifying year for state pension purposes.

Check who is the claimant

For child benefit purposes, the claimant may not be the person who actually receives the child benefit – HMRC regard the claimant as the person who signs the claim form. The claimant can elect for the benefit to be paid to someone else, for example, a husband may complete the form and sign it, but elect for the child benefit in respect of their child to be paid to his wife. While a couple remain together, this may not matter. However, if a couple separate, it is important to be clear which partner is the claimant to avoid unnecessary and unexpected tax charges.

The Meades case

A recent case highlighted the importance of checking child benefit claims on separation.

In 2021, HMRC issued Mr Meades with an amendment to his 2019/20 tax return on the basis that he was liable for the HICBC for that year.

Mr Meades married his former wife in 2010. In 2012, he claimed child benefit in respect of their child, electing for the benefit to be paid to his ex-wife (the child’s mother). The couple separated in July 2017 and the marriage was dissolved on 4 April 2019. Mr Meades provided financial support to his former wife and met household bills. Mr Meades remarried in November 2019. He lived with his new wife as a married couple throughout 2019/20.

The couple did not revise their child benefit claim on separation. Consequently, Mr Meades remained the claimant. As he provided financial support for his child, he was entitled to claim the benefit. The tribunal found that HMRC were right to assess him for the HICBC for 2019/20 as he was the claimant and his income exceeded £50,000. It did not matter that the benefit was paid to his ex-wife.


On separation, it is advisable to review child benefit claims to check who is the claimant. Mr Meades would not have been liable for the HICBC after he separated from his ex-wife had she been the claimant as he would have been neither the claimant nor the claimant’s partner. Had the couple reviewed their claim and realised this, Mr Meades could have ended his claim and a new claim could have been made by the child’s mother. This would have prevented him from being liable to the charge. It would also have prevented Mr Meades’ new partner from a potential liability to the charge in respect of the benefit paid to his ex-wife, which would have been the case had her income been both more than £50,000 and higher than that of Mr Meades – as they lived together as a married couple throughout 2019/20, she was potentially liable for the charge as the claimant’s partner.