New announcement. Learn more


News and advice to help make your property business a success

Landlords TaxProperty TaxLandlords Tax ReturnsLandlords AccountsProperty Tax ReturnProperty AccountsLandlords FinancialTax ReturnsTaxLandlords AccountantChartered AccountantsOnline AccountantOnline BookkeepingOnline Tax ReturnsYour Online AccountantYour Online BookkeeperBusinessadviceAccountingVATCashflowProperty AccountantSmallbusinessBusinesstipsCapital Gains TaxDividendsExpensesIhtexemptionsInheritance TaxPropertySDLTTaxplanningCgtFurnished Holiday LettingsHMRCIncome TaxInvestment Property TaxNICPAYEPensionProperty bookkeeperTaxreturnAllowable Business ExpensesAnnual Exempt AmountBusiness ExpensesBusiness RateCapital AllowancesCapital GainsCapital gains tax propertyCashbasisComplianceDeductibleexpensesDisincorporationEmployment AllowanceFHLsFinanceFinancialmanagementGiftsHMRC complaintsHoliday Lets TaxLettingsMaking Tax DigitalMakingTaxDigitalMileage AllowanceMobilephonesNational InsuranceOverlapreliefPartnershipPartnershipbusinessesPprProperty Company TaxProperty Tax Deductible ExpensesPropertyallowanceReimbursedexpensesRent a Room ReliefResidence ReliefSmall BusinessTax free incomeTax ReliefTimetoPayVAT invoice60 day capital gains limitAbolitionclass2AccrualsbasisAcquisitionsAdvisoryfuelratesAIAirBnBAlphabet sharesAmapAnnual Tax on Enveloped DwellingsAppealArtificial intelligenceAssessmentAsset disposalAssociated CompanyAssociated Company Tax RulesAutumnstatementBad DebtBad Debt Tax ReliefBaddebtsBadgesoftradeBeancounterBenefits in KindBreakeven PointBudgetBusiness adviceBusiness asset defermentBusiness coachBusiness ContinuityBusiness EntertainmentBusiness RatesBusiness Rates ReliefBusiness tipsBusinessgrowthBusinesstypesBuy or Lease EquipmentBuytoletCapital Allowances for CarsCapital GainCapitalallowancesCapitalexpenditureCar Capital AllowancesCarry Back LossesChange of Tax BasisChatGPTChild BenefitCIS SchemeCommon TenantCompanies ExpenditureCompanies HouseCompany Account DeadlinesCompany Account FilingCompany Strike OffCompany Tax Efficient PropertyCompanyassociationCompanyloanstaxfreeCompulsory Strike OffConstruction Industry SchemeContacthmrcContentmarketingContributionsCorporation Tax LossesCorporation Tax New RegimeCorporation Tax RatesCorporationTaxCostsCryptocurrencyCustomerlistimplicationsDeductible Business ExpensesDeductionsDemergerDepreciationDevelopmentDirectorsDirectors LoansDirectorsloansDisallowable Business ExpensesDiscoveryDividend allowanceDividend Allowance ReductionDividend PlanningDividendallowanceDLADomestic Items Tax ReliefDormantcompanyEISEmployee DiscountEmployee managementEmployeecompensationpaymentsEmployeeOwnershipTrustEndoflifeplanningEnquiryEnterpriseResourcePlanningEntertainmentEntrepreneurmindsetEquityExpenses Allowed For TaxExtrabenefitEyetestsFlippingFurnished Holiday Lets TaxGift AidGift AllowanceGrowthhacksHelp to pay tax billsHICBCHMO Licensing FeesHoldoverreliefHoliday Lettings TaxHow to apply for a Business LoanHow to Extract ProfitHumourHybridIllegaldividendsIncomeInflationary GainsInfluencersInheritance Tax Nil Rate BandInterest RatesInterestreliefInterestrestrictionISAJoint TenantKeypersoninsuranceLandlord RepairsLandlords Self AssessmentLate vat registrationLBTTLeadgenerationLeadmagnetLeanbusinessmodelLetting Agent DisbursementsLetting Agent RecharresLettings ReliefLimitedcompanyLiquidation DemergerLoaninterestLong Lets TaxLongserviceLTTMainresidencereliefManaged LetsManagement accountingMaritalhomedivorceMarriage allowanceMarriageallowanceMileage paymentMinimumwageMixedusesdltMortgage costsMortgage Interest ReliefNew propertyNewcompanycarfuelratesNewnicrulesNIC 2023 to 2024NIC savingsNicdisregardNicreductionNMWNmwerrorsNon Allowable Business ExpensesNon-taxableNudgeletterOptiontotaxvatOverpayment ReliefPaperformParttimePatternofoccupancyPAYE by Direct DebitPayrollingPenaltypointsPension Payments Tax ReliefPensioncontributionsPensionsPerformance-reviewsPeriodofgracePeriodsofabsencePersonal ExpensesPersonal financePersonalallowancePersonalguaranteesPostcessationreliefPretradingexpensesProfitProfit-and-lossProfitAndLossProperty AllowanceProperty Development CompanyProperty IncorporationProperty Investment CompanyProperty investor accountsProperty investor tax tipsProperty LettingProperty Rental BusinessProperty TradingPropertycompanyRecharges by Estate AgentsRegularpaymentsReliefRent your driveRentalRentaroomResearch & DevolopmentResidential property gainsResidentialsdltRetail stock controlRetainedprofitsRevenueRoom for rent taxRtiSASalarySavingsSDLT changesSection 455 TaxSection455taxSelective Licences LandlordsSelf AssessmentSelf-employednicSelfemployedSelling OnlineSeperationServicechargesSettlementslegislationSimplified ExpensesSmallbizSmallbusinessratereliefSoftwareSole TraderSpring BudgetStaffpartiesStamp dutySuccessJourneyTax Allowance on DrivewaysTax AllowancesTax BreakTax CodesTax DeadlinesTax DeductionsTax Filing DeadlinesTax Free ChildcareTax on Company VansTax positionTax tips for landlordsTaxbillpaymentsTaxconsequencesTaxincentivesTaxpositionTaxpositionassetsTaxreliefTaxreliefsTaxsesTerminationpaymentsTipsTrade professionalTrainingTransfer AssetsTransfer Assets Between SpousesUmbrellacompanyUndisclosedincomeUnpaid RentVAT Bad Debt ReliefVAT DeadlinesVAT DisbursementsVAT PenaltiesVAT registrationVAT Reverse ChargeVatpenaltiesVatregisteredVatregistrationthresholdWellbeingWorking from home

Marriage allowance – A possible tax break for married couples or civil partnerships

Marriage allowance – A possible tax break for married couples or civil partnerships

Despite 4.2 million couples being eligible for the tax break, only 1.8 million are claiming the marriage allowance (MA) – a benefit worth £252 a year. The main reason for not claiming is probably because those eligible are either unaware of the allowance or, if they are aware of it, think they are not eligible.

For example, many commentators and HMRC's website state that to claim one partner must have income less than the personal allowance of £12,570, but this is not what the legislation says. The qualification in the legislation is that neither person is a higher or additional rate taxpayer, not that one of them receives income below the personal allowance. That means that the transferor can have, say, £18,310 of income (comprising salary of £11,310, interest of £6,000 and £1,000 in dividends), make the transfer and still have no tax to pay.

The rules state that a claim can be made if all of the following apply:

·         The couple must be married or in a civil partnership when the transferor makes the application to transfer the allowance (there is no requirement for them to live together, such that it can still be transferred after separation or where one spouse has died).

·         During the relevant tax year, the transferee is not liable to tax at a rate other than the basic rate, the dividend ordinary rate or the starting rate for savings.

·         Neither person receives the married couple’s allowance (an allowance claimable where one person to the marriage was born before 6 April 1935).

Further, where a taxpayer has an extended basic rate band (e.g. as a result of gift aid payments or pension contributions), that extended basic rate band is used to determine whether the taxpayer is a basic rate taxpayer or not and therefore whether the MA may be claimed.

The MA is not an allowance as such, but a tax reducer enabling the reallocation of £1,260 of the annual personal allowance from one person in the marriage (or civil partnership) to the other. The claim is for the whole £1,260 as a lower amount cannot be transferred, therefore the maximum tax reduction benefit is £252(£1,260 x 20%).

How to claim complicated!

The claim is made by the person surrendering the allowance either by ticking a box on the tax return if registered for self-assessment or by completing the MA form MATCF and posting to the address on the form. The recipient cannot claim as there is nowhere on their tax return to indicate the transfer.

Enduring elections

MA elections need to be made each subsequent year if made on the self-assessment tax return and cannot become enduring. In comparison, elections made via completion of the form MATCF will become enduring and carried forward each year until cancelled. If an enduring election is in place and the transferor has income taxed under PAYE, the existence of an enduring MA claim can be determined by the tax code where a suffix ‘N’ indicates transfer to their spouse and suffix ‘M’ indicates receipt from their spouse.

Time limit

The general time limit for making any claim for repayment of overpaid tax is four years and refund claims under the MA are no different. If both partners have PAYE taxed income, the tax codes will be amended; the self-employed and others in self-assessment will have their final tax bill reduced.Otherwise, the refund will be by cheque. From February 2024 the refund can be made to a third party (e.g. an agent), if required.